Liverpool, L6 0AQ
Date opened: 15th November 1913.
Original owner: George Smith.
Architect: A E Aldridge of Liverpool.
Seating capacity: 700.
Opening film shown: “No Riches Like Love”.
Final films shown: “Up the Creek” starring David Tomlinson & Peter Sellers.
Date Closed: 31st January 1959.
The Cabbage Hall cinema situated at the corner of Townsend Lane and Rochester Road Anfield, opened for business on the 15th November 1913 with the film “No Riches Like Love”. Architect was a Mr A E Aldridge of Castle Street, Liverpool and the building was in Tudor style.
The foyer and auditorium had Tudoresque oak panels on the Lower side walls. The hall had no balcony. The auditorium was in sapphire blue and cream with oak dado together with blue plush tip up seats and heavy pile crimson carpet. The lighting was on the reflected principle.
The operating box housed Pathe projectors The structure which was white was run by a Mr George Smith. He was a strong believer in Gaumont features and booked many of them including “The Golden Lotus” and “Scandal” for the cinema.
In 1918 the cinema along with several other halls, including the Homer cinema, shows were given in aid of the Lord Mayor’s appeal for one million shillings to provide food for Liverpool prisoners of war. Also in 1918 the secretary and manager was a Mr Henry Foster.
On July 28th 1930 BTH type C equipment was installed for the coming of Talkies.
In 1943 Bedford Cinemas, who ran several Liverpool cinemas including the Mayfair Aigburth took the helm.
The cinema had a short life and closed on the 31st January 1959 with the films “Up the Creek” and “West of the River”.
The cinema was converted into the headquarters of the Liverpool supporters club, which opened on 5th May 1961.
David A Ellischestercinemas.co.uk