Crewe, CW1 2HR
Date opened: 26th July 1937.
Date Closed: 26th May 1983.
Architect: Budge Reid/Harry Weedon.
Main Building Contracter: Fletcher & Son of Crewe.
First film shown: “Dark Journey” starring Conrad Veidt.
Final film shown: “The Evil Dead” starring Bruce Campbell.
Stadium plan seating. Front-855 and stepped rear section-274. Total=1129 seats.
Demolished: September 1983.
Although one of the smaller Odeons of this period it was typical of how the company was developing their circuit style of cinema building on the high street. The planning and design job assistant was Budge Reid who was within the supervision of the architect, Harry Weedon. Local builder, Fletcher & Son completed the main construction. The total cost being £30.034.
The imposing frontage was clad in cream faience tiles with deeply recessed circle foyer windows between curved piers, placed above the canopy. At street level the cladding was of black tiles with green strip inserts. To the right of the cinema entrance a tall but narrow fin tower was a feature that displayed the sign way on high. This separated the cinema facade from that of the parade of shops that were owned by the company and leased to local businesses.
The stadium auditorium rear section was stepped and accounted for 274 seats. The remaining 855 were leading towards the proscenium, with a total capacity of 1129.
Mollo and Egan disigned the ornate panels which were a feature on the splay walls either side of the stage.
The Odeon was opened by the Mayor, Frank Bott on 26th July 1937 when the film “Dark Journey” starring Conrad Veidt was shown to a capacity audience.
It was the first and last 1930s cinema build in Crewe.
During 1975 the Rank Organisation leased the building to Brent Walker. It was promptly re-named Focus.
The Focus Cinema lasted just a short period and was closed on 25th May 1983. It was demolished in the September of that year.