Altrincham, WA14 4RW
Date opened: 13th May 1931.
Original owners: Read Ward and Snape.
Architects: Francis Drury and Joseph Gomersall.
Contractors: P Hamer Limited. 15 Park Street Swinton.
First film shown:
Original Seating Capacity: 1686.
Compton 3Manual/11Rank organ installed. Opened by Joseph Seal.
Date Closed: 6th January 1956.
The Regal Super Cinema Cinema opened on 13th May 1931 with 1,786 seats. It was operated by the Snape & Ward circuit. It was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/11Rank organ with an illuminated console, that was opened by Joseph Seal. The cinema also had a cafe. It was taken over by Union Cinemas Ltd. chain in February 1937, and they were taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in October 1937.
The Regal Super Cinema was destroyed by a fire after the performance on the evening of 6th/7th January 1956. Its remains were demolished and an office block Roberts House was built on the site.
Described by the promoters as A CATHEDRAL OF CINEMAS and the ‘Super Cinema in the Suburbs’ with ‘a commanding and delightful terra cotta frontage … majestic and imposing … that always retains that “seaside” appearance. The whole building was steel framed, the roof being supported on 90 feet long principal girders and the balcony supported on one large girder, 90 feet long, 14 feet deep and weighing 50 tons. In all, over 200 tons of steel was used and the cost of the building was in the region of £27,000, about the average cost of a suburban cinema of the time. Inside silver and gold predominated. The dome in the auditorium ceiling appeared to be of beaten silver, although in reality it was plastic paint with a metallic finish. As in many other cinemas of the period, concealed lighting did much to enhance the total effect. The auditorium contained 5,000 concealed lights. It was equipped with a Compton 3 Manual/11Rank organ with an illuminated console,.
Seating 1,686. Opened by the Earl of Stamford 13 May 1931. Also included a café/ restaurant.
It was taken over by Union Cinemas Ltd. chain in February 1937, and they were taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in October 1937. The Regal Cinema was destroyed by a fire, after the performance on the evening of 6th/7th January 1956. Its remains were demolished and an office block Regal House was built on the site. Site now occupied by Roberts House