Wrexham & North Wales cinemas

NORTH WALES SCREENS

 

Odeon Wrexham

33 Brook Street,

 Wrexham, LL13 7LH

Opened: 13th March 1937

Closed: 15th May 1976

Capacity: 1246 seats.. single screen

Architects: Harry Weedon and Budge Reid

Final chief projectionist: Mervyn Howell

The original ODEON WREXHAM. Brook Street. Opening day 13th March 1937

The original ODEON WREXHAM. Brook Street.
Opening day 13th March 1937

Opening on 13th March 1937 the Art Deco exterior was faced in cream faience tiles. It had a tall slender tower and a parade of shops that was let to local businesses. Situated slightly away from the town centre on Brook Street.  The first film shown was “Song of Freedom” starring Paul Robson. Designed by architect Harry Weedon who was assisted by Budge Reid from the Harry Weedon Partnership.

The total seat capacity was 1246.  The auditorium was made up of 958 seats in the stalls and 288 in the circle.

A series of coves ran across the width of the ceiling  leading towards the screen.  These contained concealed lighting.  Either side of the proscenium were deep panels of plaster-work grills designed by interior designers Mollo & Egan.  These were illuminated with concealed lighting.

During 1972 the cinema began an operation of 3 days bingo and four days of cinema. This quickly changed to four days of bingo and only three for cinema. Eventually the cinema operation moved out of the building.  The final film-“The Man Who Would Be King” starring Sean Connery was shown on 15th May 1976.

The bingo business moved to new premises in May 1999.  At present the building is open as a nightclub.

 

 

Click on the above frame to watch the video of Wrexham Odeon

COMPTON LODGE copyright

 

 

 

 

OSCAR DEUTSCH….          founder of Odeon cinemas

Entrance foyer Odeon Wrexham

Entrance foyer
Odeon Wrexham

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Odeon Wrexham view from the circle

Odeon Wrexham
viewed from the circle

 

 

looking towards the projection room ODEON WREXHAM

Looking towards the projection room

 

Odeon Wrexham..stalls aspect

 

chestercinemas.co.ukcopyright white
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hippodrome Cinema

26-30 Henblas Street,

Wrexham, LL13 8AD

Opened:  as a cinema (sound) 9th September 1929

Closed: November 1959

Re-opened: 13th June 1961

Closed: March 1998.

Operated & managed by the late Barry Flanagan.

Architects: Davies & Sons (Chester)

The proscenium & auditorium of The Hippodrome

The 950 seater Hippodrome on Henblas Street had a long and varied history. Opening on Thursday 1st July 1909 it had been designed by the Chester architects Davies & Sons. Built on the site of The Public Hall, it was initially named the New Opera House & Public Hall. It had a deeply curved single balcony, typical of theatres of that time, supported by pillars which obstructed the patron’s clear view who were unfortunate enough to be seated behind them in both the circle & stalls.

hippodrome-banner
henblas-street-wrexham-hippodrome

The Baroque type features on the front of the circle, and the framed panels around the auditorium walls gave some decorative relief, together with the recessed lantern ceiling. The outside frontage was of plain brick. Two years later the theatre was re-named the Hippodrome.

1978-hippodrome-wxm-2

It became the Hippodrome Cinema on 9th September 1929, showing the sound feature “The Donovan Affair”. Films continued until it closed thirty years later in November 1959. A local independent operator, Barry Flanagan and his family, decided to take a chance on the building, re-opening it with the same name on Tuesday 13th June 1961, showing the first film-“All Hands On Deck”. The occasional pop concert was staged. It became a twin cinema in 1988, opening with “Willow” & “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” in a separate screen.

With the opening of the Odeon multiplex cinema, it was hit badly with most of its trade lost, together with problems securing prints. When it couldn’t obtain a first run copy of “Titanic”, it was clear that the Hippodrome too was sinking, and closure came in March 1998.

8473460

The building stood abandoned, until a fire reduced its’s sorry state even further.

It was demolished in the spring of 2008.

chestercinemas.co.ukcopyright white

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Odeon 7 screen Muliplex Wrexham

Plas Coch Retail Park, Plas Coch Road,

Wrexham, LL11 6TE

Opened on 4th December 1997

Closed  on Thursday 12th March 2009. (business transferred to a new site at Eagles Meadow).

Capacity: 1289 seats over 7 screens, ranging from 364 per screen to 112 per screen.

First manager: Andrew Price      Final manager: Andrew Elvis

Chief projectionist: Peter Davies

Odeon Plas Coch

The retail until was originally ear marked as a pet food store. However, Odeon Cinemas eager to quickly expand their multiplex cinema business negotiated the lease. The uninspired exterior appearance gave way to a large rotunda entrance hall. The seven screens had a total seating capacity of 1259 seats. Offering cinema goers hundreds of free car parking spaces the cinema proved to be a huge success.

 

 

ODEON multiplex cinema on the Plas Coch Retail Parc.

Odeon, Plas Coch. Main entrance foyer

Screen 1 -Odeon Plas Coch

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Majestic Cinema

44-46 Regent Street,

Wrexham, LL11 1RR

Opened: September 1910 (showing films at a hall designed as a skating rink)

Closed: 22nd June 1960

Capacity: 1800 seats

Architects: G.E. Marshall & Co (Liverpool)

Majestic Cinema, Regent Street, Wrexham

MAJESTIC CINEMA IN WREXHAM

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Staff of the Majestic cinema in Wrexham

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glynn Cinema

Queens Square,

Wrexham, LL13 8AZ

GLYNN CINEMA Queens Square, WREXHAM

THE GLYNN CINEMA
Queens Square, WREXHAM

 

Although opened as a silent movie cinema in 1910, it held a respectable 900 seats, with a circle and stalls auditorium. It claimed to be the first purpose built cinema in North Wales.

Independently run, it was built on council land with only a 50 year lease. Far from grand in design, it did have a mock Tudor frontage.

The Glynn remained in business until 4th November 1960.  Due to falling business the lease was not re-newed.  The final film shown was “Hercules Unchained”. The site was cleared to make way for a car park.

chestercinemas.co.ukcopyright white

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vogue Cinema

25-27 High Street,

Wrexham, LL13 8H

Opened in July 1981

Closed September 1986 due to fire damage.

Vogue cinema

The opening film was “Tess”, starring Nastassja Kinski.

The cinema was another venture of the late Barry Flanagan who also operated The Hippodrome cinema in Wrexham

chestercinemas.co.ukcopyright white

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Palace Wrexham

Pentre Broughton,

Wrexham.

Opened: 7th December 1936

Closed: 5th December 1959

Capacity: 443 seats.. single screen

 

Palace Cinema. Pentre Broughton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Palace, Pentre Broughton. February 1937, an invited OAPs audience watches “Mr Deeds Goes To Town”

Opening film- “Limelight” starring Charlie Chaplin.

A major refurbishment took place when the cinema closed from six weeks from 9th May 1953 when new projection and sound equipment was installed, together with a Cinemascope screen. The Palace re-opened on 6th July 1953, showing a film about the Queen’s coronation and the conquest of Everest.

The final film projected was “The Vikings” which starred Kirk Douglas, Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis.

The Palace closed on 5th December 1959 ending 23 years of film entertainment.

chestercinemas.co.ukcopyright white
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pavilion 

Broad Street,
Rhos,

Wrexham. LL14 1RB

 

Opened: 1913 (approx. date)

Closed: 1960s

Capacity: 

Pavilion, Broad Street, Rhos, Wrexham. c 1932

The Pavilion cinema pictured in 1913

The Pavilion cinema pictured in 1922

chestercinemas.co.ukcopyright white

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regent Cinema

Parish Hall,
Park Road,

Coedpoeth, LL11 3TD

Open during the 1930s & 40s

Operated by: Cambria and Border Cinemas Ltd. 

Manager:  Mrs. Grainger

The Regent cinema (Parish Hall), Coedpoeth

The Parish Hall, used for a brief time as a cinema and given the deceptive name ‘The Regent’

chestercinemas.co.ukcopyright white

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Empire Picture House

Lambpit Street,

Wrexham, LL13 8BG

Opened: Friday 13th May 1932

Closed: Saturday 26th August 1956

Capacity: 582 seats.. single screen

The EMPIRE PICTURE HOUSE

The Empire Music Hall opened on 1st April 1902. Silent newsreel films were shown as part of the variety programme.  For a short period it became a full-time cinema during 1914 and was known as the Empire Picture Palace, before returning to theatre use in 1915. Films were still shown occasionally.

In the spring of 1932 the variety business gave way to film once more, this time sound equipment had been installed. The building was re-named the Empire Picture House. It opened on 13th May 1932 with it’s first sound movie- “Let’s Go Native” starring Jack Oakie.

The building continued as a cinema until closure on 26th August 1956.

The building was incorporated into the adjacent Seven Stars pub, a Grade II Listed building, built in 1898, architect Thomas Price of Liverpool. The former Empire Picture House remained unused.

chestercinemas.co.ukcopyright white

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Derby Cinema

Castle Street,

Caergwrle, LL12 9DS

Opened: During 1921

Closed:  During 1965

Builders: W. E. Eccleston & Son

Originally owned by: May Rollason and managed by Newlove and Milner of Chester.

The Derby Cinema

The entrance foyer & cash desk of the Derby Cinema

chestercinemas.co.ukcopyright white

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tivoli Cinema

Brunswick Road,

Buckley, CH7 2EF

Opened:  Monday 25th May 1925 

Date Closed as a cinema:  1961

Capacity: 960 seats

Architects:  R. Lloyd Roberts.

Final film shown:  “Breath Of Scandal” starring Sophia Loren

Tivoli cinema, Buckley.

 

Robert Rowlands of Broughton, Flintshire, joined the board of directors of the Buckley Picture House Ltd  who appointed the architect- R. Lloyd Roberts of Mold to design the structure and Messers. Hayes Brothers of Buckley to build it.  The Tivoli was built in twelve months on the site previously occupied by the Central Hall and was opened on Monday 25th May 1925 as a theatre /cinema venue.

Under construction- The Tivoli cinema. c 1924

The new theatre/cinema seated 960 people and had a proscenium opening of 38ft in width. The stage area measured 45ft x 23ft, with six dressing rooms to accommodate the artists. Professional touring companies and amateur dramatics made appearances on the Tivoli stage.

Initially the silent films were projected from the rear stage onto a translucent screen.  It is thought that this practice ended when the theatre brought in sound.  A projection room was then installed at the rear of the balcony. The sound equipment was the little known “Filmophone” system.

During 1937 ownership of the building was transferred to Stanley Grimshawe Theatres Ltd. Finally Byrom Pictures Ltd. of Liverpool took control.  The building was turned over to bingo use during 1961 when Byrom sold off all their cinemas.

In the mid 1980s the venue was in use as a night club/ music venue, which it has remained with the name Tivoli still on the building.

chestercinemas.co.ukcopyright white

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Palace Cinema

Buckley, CH7

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Winter Gardens/Odeon/Astra Cinema

Gloddaeth Street,

Llandudno, LL30 2DF

Opened: 25th March 1935

Closed: October 1986

Capacity: 1883 seats.. single screen

Architects: Arthur S. Hewitt

Astra Llandudno

A local coach operator Zack Brierley commissioned the Llandudno architect Arthur S. Hewitt to design this magnificent building. The Winter Gardens cinema/theatre opened on 25th March 1935.  A Christie 3Manual/8Rank organ was installed.

Singer and Britsh film star- Gracie Fields gave a live telephone message of good wishes which was relayed to the audience through the speaker system at the opening event.

Odeon Llandudno

The underwhelming dull exterior gave way to a overwhelming Art Deco interior. Seating was provided for 1,074 in the stalls and 809 in the balcony. The proscenium was 40 feet wide, the stage 30 feet deep and there were 14 dressing rooms. The cinema boasted a cafe.

Running into financial difficulties after just 18 months of operation, Zack Brierley sold the building to Oscar Deutsch, owner of the Odeon Cinemas Ltd. He renamed the cinema as Odeon during 1943,  while the ballroom continued under the Winter Gardens name.

The Beatles appeared on stage for  six days from Monday 12th August 1963.

As the Astra cinema 1971

Owners of the Odeon, the Rank Organisation, sold the building to the independent Hutchinson circuit on 13th October 1969 and it was re-named the Astra cinema.

Hutchinson quickly introduced a Summer only opening (Llandudno being a seaside town) during the early 1970s.

The Astra Cinema closed in October 1986 and in 1988 the Christie organ was removed from the building into storage for possible preservation. Whilst in storage the instrument was destroyed.  The building was demolished in the late 1980s.

chestercinemas.co.ukcopyright white

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________