GLYNN PICTURE HALL

 

Silent screen with an orchestra setting the mood.

GLYNN PICTURE HALL, 110 Foregate Street, Chester.

Date opened:  Saturday 19th June 1911.      Date closed:  Saturday 5th September 1931.   Frontage survives.

Total seating capacity:  (stalls & balcony) –  750 seats

Architects:  Minshull & Muspratt Partnership

 

Few people know the whereabouts of this silent cinema. Amazingly the frontage can still be seen.  It is nearly opposite Parker’s Buildings in Foregate Street.

Operated and managed by the Glynn Animated Picture Company. The name Glynn was the first name of one of it’s founders- Glynn Hill, the other partner of the company was  G.E. Bulford.

Present day photograph of the Glynn cinema

The cinema was opened as the Glynn Picture Hall, changing it’s name later to the Glynn Picture House. A small orchestra called the Hillman & Glynn provided the music for the silent screen. The auditorium was of a basic design having a corrugated tin sheet roof, seating 750 people.It was also the head office of the company. Their other cinemas were the Central Shrewsbury and the Glynn Wrexham. The first manager was Charles Powell.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fred Rowley     The final manager of the Glynn

In 1923 W E and J Taplin ran the hall. 1928 saw General Theatres take over. Eventually it was absorbed into the Gaumont British Theatres circuit. The final manager Fred Rowley, transferred to the Gaumont Palace in Brook Street, as the Glynne was closed down by it’s new owners who had built the Gaumont. 

In its heyday, the Glynn was described as “A High Class Entertainment of Animated Pictures”. The final film shown was “Lure Of The South Seas” on 5th September 1931.

Just the frontage of this cinema survives.

 

 

Local newspaper advert for the Glynn cinema. January 1915

The Glynn cinema in WREXHAM

 

 

Go to the history page to read the full account of this silent gem.

 

 

If you have any further information on the GLYNN, or know of anyone who was employed there, please contact us.