Flint, CH6 5AF
The Plaza cinema in Flint opened on 26th December 1938. Another cinema to be operated by Deeside Enterprises.
Signs of the Zodiac & mythical figures featured both on the plain brick frontage and in the auditorium which had a total capacity of 1,100 seats between the balcony and stalls. There was cove lighting which stepped down the ceiling towards the proscenium, with Holophane lighting.
The opening feature was “We’re Going To Be Rich” starring Gracie Fields.
The Plaza Cinema opened on 26th December 1938 with Gracie Fields in “We’re Going to be Rich”. The exterior was built in grey brick and was rather ‘boxy’ looking. The only relief being three decorated square grilles above the canopy which contained mythical figures.
Like the Plaza in Connah’s Quay, it was taken over by Wedgewood Cinemas in late 1967 which changed the name to the WEDGEWOOD cinema. At the beginning of 1975 the cinema was sold to Mecca who closed it as a cinema on 1st August of that year, turning the building over to a bingo hall. Ownership eventually transferred to Palace Bingo, and continued up to closure in 2011.
The former Plaza Cinema is a Grade II Listed.
Click on the button below to read Roger’s review & update-
Roger Shone (c) chestercinemas.co.uk