Regal Cinema, Northwich.

Regal Cinema

London Road,

Northwich, CW5 9HD


Original Owners:  Cheshire County Cinemas Ltd.

Architects:  Seagar Owen and William Owen. of Warrington.

First General Manager:  Mr R. P. Walker.

Date opened:  Saturday 28th January 1939.

First film shown:  “A Storm in a Teacup”starring Vivien Leigh and Rex Harrison.

Seating Capacity: 1100.

Additional Screen Added:  29th July 1973.

Seating Capacity:  200.

First fil shown (Regal 2):  “That’ll Be The Day” starring David Essex and Ringo Starr.

Date Closed:  Friday 6th January 2007.

Final films shown:  “Grease” and “Night at the Museum”.

Building demolished: 2013.



Northwich had a number of cinemas. There was The Pavilion Central, plaza, Regal and Castle. All run by Cheshire County Cinemas at some point

The stadium style Regal, London Road Northwich opened for business on Saturday 28th January 1939 with the film ‘A Storm in a Teacup’. The grand opening was performed by clergyman Paterson Morgan.

The first manager was a Mr R. P. Walker, who was transferred from the Plaza. A Mr W.L. Stockley, who had worked at the Regent Warrington took over the Plaza. Proceeds from the first screenings went to charity.  The cinema was designed by Warrington architects Seagar Owen and William Owen. According to the Kine Weekly seating was for 1100. Other sources state 1059. Because of possible subsidence the cinema was built on a raft and the building could be lifted by special jacks if subsidence occurred.

The Regal Northwich projection room photographed in 1953.

Projectors from around 1947 were Westar with Western Electric sound. In the 1950s four track magnetic was added to the list of equipment.The arcs were Peerless. 1947 seemed a good year where projection equipment was concerned. The BTH SUPA MK 1 and Kalee 21 machines also arrived that year. BTH were employed in Odeon cinemas and The Kalee 21 was usually installed in Gaumont theatres. Of course many independents installed these fine machines.

The Regal was owned by Cheshire County Cinemas run by the Godfrey family, who had been running their cinema business since 1912. They had a number of cinemas in Cheshire and Lancashire. The head office of the company was the Empress cinema Runcorn. Other picture theatres included the Plaza and Empire Widnes, the Woolton Liverpool and the Plaza Northwich. All There theatres were equipped with Westar, Western Electric sound and Peerless carbon arcs. Four track magnetic sound was a feature at the Regal.

Regal 1, Northwich.

Other cinemas on the circuit were also equipped with four track, including the Empress, Runcorn.

Another Regal was built alongside the Regal, seating 200 and became known as Regal 2. This was served by an extended projection room, and entrance was from Regal 1.

Regal 2 was opened on 29th July 1973. The first film shown was “That’ll Be The Day” starring David Essex and Ringo Starr.

Screen 2

The auditorium of the original Regal wasn’t affected. Towers were installed and Orcon xenon lamps provided screen illumination. Seating in Regal 1 was reduced to 927 even though The auditorium hadn’t been altered.

Regal Northwich. A choice of two screens.

The Regal cinemas closed on Friday 6th January 2007. The last film in number 1 was “Grease”. In screen 2 the films “Flushed Away” and “Night at the Museum” were screened. Equipment was auctioned off. The buildings faced the demolition hammer in 2013.

Odeon Multiplex. Barons Quay, Northwich.

Northwich’s cinema scene bounced back when the five Screen Odeon multiplex was built at Baron’s Quay.


David A Ellis  ©